As a homeowner, you take pride in your kitchen’s functionality, warmth, and personality. And whether you enjoy entertaining in your outdoor kitchen in warm weather or indoor all year round, your countertops matter. Granite countertops, in particular, offer a sleek, luxurious style that adds value to any sized kitchen. To maintain its beauty, be sure to depend on cleaning techniques that enhance the material without causing damage. Learn how to clean granite countertops using these simple steps and you’ll likely get the most out of your investment.
Granite Adds Extravagance and Value to Your Home
Granite contains oxygen and silica which are chemical elements found in the earth’s crust. Because silicate is rock-forming, granite countertops are tough and meant to last a lifetime when properly maintained. What’s more, they increase your home’s value. Therefore, knowing how to clean granite countertops is certainly worthwhile.
How to Clean Granite Countertops Correctly
There are a number of ways that you can clean your granite countertops. One of the most effective is with a towel and some soapy water. Apply these steps daily or weekly, as needed.
- Squirt a little bit of mild dishwashing liquid in your sink, and then add about a pint of warm water.
- Use a soft microfiber cloth or soft non-abrasive sponge and dip it into the sudsy water.
- Wring out the excess water.
- Clean your granite countertops, wiping in a circular motion.
- Dry with another clean soft microfiber cloth or paper towel.
Granite countertops are easy to maintain and require very little maintenance. This means there is rarely a need for expensive cleaners to wipe down the mess. Regular tasks like cleaning the counter is just one of the ways that a granite countertop can be more efficient in the long run.
Granite Countertops Maintenance Tips – Do’s and Don’ts
Here are some “DO’s and DON’Ts” to keep your granite countertops looking lovely as the first day of installation:
- DON’T use abrasive cleaning products as these will scratch the surface of your granite countertops
- DO use a mat or trivet as a surface barrier
- DON’T stand, sit or kneel on your granite countertops
- DO immediately wipe up spills
- DON’T put hot dishes, pots, and pans directly on any seams as the heat can cause the joint to separate.
- DO add a silicone-based sealer to your granite countertops once every 3 years for added protection (Sealants repel water, oil, and dirt)
GranitePro’s Countertops Complement Your Kitchen’s Style
Your kitchen’s granite surfaces should last a lifetime if you know how to clean granite countertops. If your granite shows extreme wear, is full of discoloration and difficult to remove stains, you may want to upgrade. Or you might just want a new look to match your new kitchen cabinets. At GranitePro, we have a variety of major brand granite, quartz, and other countertops to meet your kitchen’s decor including:
- Countertops in a variety of colors
- Complete indoor and outdoor kitchens
- Commercial and residential tabletops
- Kitchen backsplashes
- Kitchen cabinets
For complete customer satisfaction, we complete jobs the right way including:
- Installing new countertops
- Removing and disposing of old countertops
- Plumbing and faucet hookups
- Offering a limited warranty
Our skilled team at GranitePro works with millwork companies to get you the best price on all materials. We service residents in the southernmost PA including Howard, Frederick, and Carroll counties. We offer other services including:
- Countertop Removal and Disposal
- Template Services
- Fabrication services
- Sink and Faucets Services
- Tile Services
Now that you know how to clean granite countertops, call us at 410.870.8546 for a free in-home estimate on your new kitchen. Make the kitchen you’ve always dreamt of a reality today. Upgrade your home and protect your countertops today.